- South Woods Middle School
Monthly Mailing from Principal Michelle Burget
Dear South Woods Families,
Small joys abound at South Woods! From the lovely weather that allows us to continue to enjoy being outdoors to the creative spirit of our Spirit Squad and Advisory Committee, to the kindness and patience every member of our community shares each day, what could be dark days of December are filled with so much light! Here are a few quick updates and important links:
- Check out the South Woods Counseling Center’s new publication, The Brave Space for great news about social-emotional learning, mental health awareness, and mindfulness strategies.
- We look forward to the annual tradition of the South Woods Yearbook. Information will be sent home after the New Year.
- Thursday is the Spirit Squad’s annual Ugly Sweater day. Join us in redefining “ugly” to mean something warm and fun!
- Many thanks to our Student Council Representatives for preparing a video message to our Board of Education about all of our club and student council activities this fall. You can see their presentation at minute 24:50 of the November Board of Education Livestream Video.
- Music is in the air! Our Band, Orchestra, and Chorus students are looking forward to their live streamed performances in January. Times will be provided by music teachers prior to the concerts.
- Wednesday, January 19th - Orchestra All Grades
- Thursday, January 20th - Chorus All Grades
- Tuesday, January 25th - Band All Grades
- Please help lost items find their rightful owners! Check out our South Woods Lost and Found slideshow and send your child or call the Main Office to claim your belongings. Items may be claimed today and tomorrow, as well as on December 28th and 29th between 8:00 AM - 3:00 PM. All items remaining in the new year will be donated.
- On Thursday, December 23rd the district will enact the Emergency Dismissal Drill as mandated by New York State in accordance with the school district’s Emergency Management Plan. Please note a slight change in dismissal times on that day:
- Walkers and students being picked up by car will be dismissed at 2:15 PM.
- The first wave of buses will depart at 2:25 PM.
- The second wave of buses will depart at 2:30 PM.
- There will be one late bus at 3:50 PM.
- If you need to pick up your child for early dismissal, please pick up by 2:00 PM.
- Please visit the Delays and School Closings page of the district website for information regarding procedures related to inclement weather.
Wishing you a restful break and a Happy New Year!