1. Candidate petitions can be picked up in person from 8:00 a.m. through 4:00 p.m. (closed for lunch from 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m.) at the Office of the District Clerk, South Woods Middle School, 99 Pell Lane, Syosset, NY 11791. Be sure to get the required 47 signatures from qualified voters of the district and return the completed petition to the office of the District Clerk. The petitions can be dropped off from 8:00 a.m. through 4:00 p.m. (closed for lunch from 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m.) with the exception of April 22, 2019 when the district must legally accept petitions through 5:00 p.m. Remember completed petitions are due no later than April 22, 2019 at 5:00 p.m.
2. Eligibility Requirements for Candidates to the Board of Education are as follows: the candidate must be a U.S. citizen, at least 18 years old, a qualified voter in the school district, able to read and write, and a resident of the district continuously for at least one year before the election. At the time when the board member takes office, they cannot be employed by the Board on which they serve or live in the same household with a family member who is also a member of the same school board.
3. Complete the ‘Report of Campaign Expenses and Contributions’ form (CLICK HERE). This form must be filed on the 30th day (April 22, 2019) and 5th day (May 16, 2019) before the election and again within 20 days (by June 10, 2019) after the election. This form must be notarized each time. CLICK HERE for the 'Report of Campaign Expenses and Contributions' form in Spanish.
4. Complete a ‘Release of Name, Address and Telephone Number’ form (CLICK HERE). Return this form to the Office of the District Clerk, South Woods Middle School, 99 Pell Lane, Syosset, NY 11791. CLICK HERE for 'Release of Name, Address and Telepone Number' form in Spanish.
5. Complete a ‘Know Your Candidate’ packet (CLICK HERE) for the PTA sponsored Know Your Candidate Night scheduled for May 9, 2019 at 8:00 p.m. in the South Woods Middle School Auditorium. CLICK HERE for a 'Know Your Candidate" packet in Spanish.
6. Complete the ‘Newsday – School Board Candidate Form’ (CLICK HERE). This form must be completed and returned by April 24 directly to Newsday’s Michael Ebert. The form can be sent via email to Michael.Ebert@newsday.com or by fax 631-843-2953 or by mail to 235 Pinelawn Road, Melville, NY 11747. CLICK HERE for the 'Newsday - School Board Candidate Form" in Spanish.