NYSSMA is the New York State School Music Association. It is a professional association of music teachers from throughout New York State. NYSSMA’s parent organization is The National Association for Music Education. NYSSMA’s mission is to advocate for and promote music education in New York. They sponsor conferences and professional development opportunities for its teacher members, proactively advocate for music education throughout the state, and present many programs for students in its member schools.
NYSSMA is best known for sponsoring festivals each spring in which students have the opportunity to perform solos and small ensembles (duets, trios, etc.) for an impartial adjudication. This process has long been held up as one of the finest examples of authentic assessment and is designed to help students to improve their musical abilities. Participation in NYSSMA is voluntary and provides students an opportunity to evaluate their own level of achievement and to set goals for making progress.
Click here to read more about NYSSMA and NYSSMA festivals.
2019 NYSSMA Festival Dates
Syosset Central School District students will attend the following NYSSMA Solo and Ensemble Festivals this spring:
- Classical Piano, All Levels, Jericho H.S., March 8-9, 2019
- Level I-IV, Oyster Bay High School, March 15-16, 2019
- Classical Guitar, Uniondale High School, March 29-30, 2019
- Level V-VI and All State Auditions, Syosset High School, May 10-11, 2019
- All State Jazz Auditions, Syosset High School, April 10-11, 2019