Syosset Central School District participates in the National Child Nutrition Program. Aramark is the food service provider for Syosset. Our goal is to serve nutritious, well-balanced meals that appeal to students and the school community that meet the National School Lunch and Breakfast Program requirements.
The USDA has extended the provision of free meals (breakfast and lunch) to ALL students for the remainder of the 2020-2021 school year. (Program end date is subject to change at the discretion of the federal government). All students will now be eligible for one breakfast and one lunch meal at no cost each day.
While one breakfast and one lunch meal will be free each day, please be advised that additional lunches and lunch a la carte items, such as snacks and bottled water, are NOT part of the free lunch program and therefore, student accounts will be charged for those items. Student accounts will NOT be charged for items selected under the Lunch and Side/ Drink categories (fruit and vegetable sides included with the main meal). The program is retroactive to the first day of school, so accounts will be credited for meals already purchased.
This school year, the meal program will look different in the school buildings due to newly implemented health and safety protocols in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Some general changes will apply to all schools, including:
- More limited menu choices, particularly in the beginning of the school year.
- To support social distancing protocols, lunch will be delivered directly to the classrooms at the elementary and middle schools, and at the high school, lunch will be available in socially distant grab-and-go spaces.
- All food will be prepackaged.
- No outside delivery of meals or meal drop off by parents will be permitted.
- To enhance hygiene, no CASH will be exchanged. Parents can continue to send checks or purchase items through the online payment system.
- Handwashing will be encouraged through mobile hand washing stations, signage and frequent reminders to wash hands.
ELEMENTARY AND MIDDLE SCHOOLS
Meals for elementary and middle school students attending in-person must be pre-ordered through the Infinite Campus system (see below for instructions).
Meal Orders must be entered by midnight on every Wednesday for the following week.
We anticipate transitioning to an online ordering system that is integrated with the district’s online payment system, MySchoolBucks, once the platform becomes available. In the interim, Infinite Campus released a new module for pre-ordering meals. Middle school students, and parents of elementary students, can pre-order meals through Infinite Campus:
- Log on to Infinite Campus and select “School Store” on the left
- Click on the school, and select “Categories” (at the bottom of the screen)
- Select Breakfast or Lunch ordering menus to begin ordering
Links to menus are provided on the site to facilitate ordering.
The Infinite Campus platform is exclusively a pre-order system, not a payment system, so parents will need to continue to use MySchoolBucks as the payment system. Once the online ordering system is available that integrates with MySchoolBucks, this extra step will be eliminated.
All menus will be posted on the Food Service section of the website. Interactive menus that provide ingredients, nutritional information and highlight potential allergens are posted on Aramark’s SchoolDish website.
At the High School, students may select grab-and-go meals at several locations in the building, including the two cafeterias and additional mobile stations. Students will swipe their ID cards at the Point of Sale (POS) system to record purchases.
Students attending the high school on their in-person day may order meals for their virtual learning day from Aramark staff during their lunch period. Students can then pick up their orders for the virtual learning day at a designated location as they exit the building.
To enhance hygiene, no cash will be accepted in any locations. Online payments may be made by establishing an account on MySchoolBucks. To establish the account, you need your child’s student ID number which can be found on the Infinite Campus Parent Portal. If you do not have a Parent Portal account, please email ParentPortal@syossetschools.org. There is a fee of $2.49 per on-line transaction to cover the use of MySchoolBucks. For each $50.00 online deposit ONE FREE MEAL will be put on your child’s account. Payments to your student’s account may also be made by check.
The District utilizes a computerized POS (Point of Sale) system that flags students with allergies. Upon entry of the student’s code into the system, allergen information, if applicable, will pop up on-screen to alert the food service worker.
MEALS FOR STUDENTS LEARNING REMOTELY
Students opting for the fully virtual instructional model can pick up meals on Tuesdays and Fridays as indicated below.
- Students attending the fully virtual instructional model do not have to preorder meals.
- Breakfast and lunch meals will be available for pickup at Syosset High School, 70 South Woods Road, Syosset, between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. on Tuesdays and Fridays.
- The distribution location will be from the south side of the building. Please use the southernmost driveway entrance and proceed to the door directly past the grey storage unit. Please note there will be no access to the interior of the school building during meal pick up.
Should you have any questions or concerns regarding food services please reach out to Kerri O’Donnell, Aramark Food Service Director for Syosset at 516.364.5849 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Parent Informational Letter - English